Get a virtual private server
You will need to rent a private server (usually virtual, but it is up to you). Location of your server is important because it will be used instead of your physical location after VPN connection is established (This is how you hide and protect yourself in the Internet)VPS (Virtual Private server)read more on wikipedia.org
|OS||Latest Ubuntu 20.04or any Linux distributive with kernel version 5.6+|
We find following offers reliable and reasonably priceddigitalocean.comvultr.comhetzner.com
Setup your Virtual Private Server
The process is slightly different for different OS, pick yours and follow the guide:
Setup the server application
1. Open browser and type “http://<VPS_IP>” to open our web application. <VPS_IP> is the same you have used on the previous step.
2. Setup a password for the administration page to prevent unauthorized access to your VPN server application
3. Press “Save” button to save changes. You will be logged into the administration page automatically.
Get connection settings
1. You need to create a new “peer” (You may think about "peer" as any single physical device) on the administration page of the VPN server application by clicking on the “+ Add” button in the top-right corner of the screen:
2. A new screen with a form will popup. Usually, you will need to change the “device name” only. All the other fields are completely optional
3. Click on the “Save” button. It will close the current screen and show a QR code instead.
4. Download the configuration file, we will use it later.